Friday, June 02, 2006

Letting our birds fly

Well today my first born son Luis (18 yrs. old) went off to New Jersey for a months vacation. He has been telling me about his plans for some time now, so I did have a chance to get "somewhat" prepared for this. His main purpose for this trip is to visit his girlfriend which lives out in New York and is very soon moving out to P.R. He also has family out in New Jersey and New York that he will be spending time with, and we are very happy about that.

However, as a parent you always feel uncertain that they are ready to fly on their two wings. As a mother you feel the need to shelter them from the worlds dangers and protect them from any harm. Children do grow and before you know it they are chasing their own dreams, pursuing their own goals and creating their own future. It's not easy to accept that I have learned.

My experience so far as a mother of a teenager growing into adulthood has not been a bad one, I certainly have nothing to complain about. He is a great son, a wonderful brother and an excellent friend to his peers. He has done very well in school and graduated from H.S. with a 3.5 GPA. He has certainly made us PROUD to be his parents.

I had a hard time accepting his purpose for the trip, but quietly have prayed that it all works out for good in the end. There are just some things that we must let them learn on their own, and live out in their lives. I too was young once and remember how bold, and persistent and determined I was, and nothing anyone could say would change my outlook on MY LIFE. Not easy for us to stand back as parents and see it all play out, without interfering, is it? There are really just some things you can't change or stop your children from doing. We must teach them how to fly and when the time comes we have to just stand back and allow them to spread those wings and let them fly.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Wow, I got chills reading your wise words. I'm sure it's easier to type about letting them fly, than it really is to do it. I'll be calling you in about 8 years to cry on your shoulder for the same letting go.... : ( I'm already sad thinkinging about it.

Anonymous said...

My Sweet Cousin Evelyn:
I know exactly how you feel. Remember Amy (25) is a mother of a 5½ yr old boy too. And Mailyn turns 22 tomorrow! My nest is half full (Amy's been on her own for 3 yrs now!) As long as parents learn to enjoy each & every one of the stages their chidren go through, they should be able to make the transition with more ease. It worked for me. I always prayed to God to help me be a good mother and teach my kids right from wrong so that they could make good decisions when their time came. If you do well in that sense, your kids will have a better opportunity as grownups making the best choices for themselves and you will have the satisfaction of having played a part in who they become. Then just sit back and enjoy...
Love you bunches, and see you guys in a couple of weeks.