Saturday, March 25, 2006

How is life different for your children than it was for you when you were growing up?

Wow! Life is VERY different for my children, I don't know about anyone else's but here are a few examples of how it is different for them:


  1. Computers - Every home has one and if you don't have one then you are the exception!
  2. Ipods - Whatever happened with the walkman?
  3. Cellphones - I remember having to scrounge for change to use a public telephone to call home, do they even have public telephones now?
  4. Video Games - Atari, Coleco, they went extinct! That's what they had in the 80's and guess what? I didn't even own one, my parents couldn't afford it! Now my kids, have PS2, PSP, Xbox, and back when it first came out they had Super Nintendo, which is now a relic and my 4 yr. old plays with it. LOL!!
  5. Movie Videos - The movies was something you went to see in a theatre not something you owned and played at home, and if you did own one it certainly wasn't on a DVD.
  6. Compact Discs - Cassettes & Records are all I can remember, I actually recall hearing my uncles saying what a marvel Cassettes were since they had 8-tracks!
  7. Scooters - Wasn't it a bicycle that we wanted for Christmas when we were kids? Now a days kids want a motorized bike sort of like a mini motorcycle.
  8. Xtreme Sports - I remember skating & skateboarding were just simple acts of outdoor entertainment and fun, now it's an Xtreme Sport and you can actually have a membership to places such as Van's Skatepark in which they can go and do crazy and dangerous stunts.
  9. Vacations - My vacations consisted of trips between New York & Puerto Rico, I was excited nonetheless but I realize now that this is all I had seen. My kids have gone on trips in which we have explored the East Coast of the U.S., gone away to the beaches of Florida for a weekend, vacationed in the West Coast (see my previous posts for pictures of places they went), they have been on the Disney Cruise a few times, and of course of we have visited New York.
  10. Housing - I mainly lived in apartments with the exception of my grandparents house out in Puerto Rico which I was able to live in for about 6 years. So for the most part I didn't have a backyard or frontyard to play in, New York city's sidewalks and busy streets were the playground. My boys have had a house and/or yard to play in for as long as I can remember and we lived in an apartment for only 2 years when we first moved to Florida.
  11. Family - Although I come from a large family(my grandmother had 11 children, my mom is the youngest of the girls), I was an only child so I had no siblings to share and play with, my boys have each other and I certainly love that! As a family, I believe that we also have more open topic conversations than what I had as a kid, back in the day there were just some things you didn't talk about. ;)

This was a neat BLOG PROMPT! I just had to pick this one!

1 comment:

Jan said...

That is a great prompt! Love your answers!