Friday, August 04, 2006

Meet the Teacher Day!!

Today was Meet the Teacher day at the elementary school where my 4yr. old will be attending this school year. I was a bit aprehensive at first, since this will be a whole new experience for my son this year; New School, New Teacher, New friends, etc. etc. However, I felt so much better to see that when I registered him earlier this summer he actually wanted to stay at the school, but as anyone with children in the Autism Spectrum know, things can change in a snap!

I am glad to say that it was a great day! He embraced the whole process of preparing to go to the school and visiting with his new teacher and potential classmates. Once there, he was a bit shy at first but loosened quite quickly when he saw other children show up and that mommy was actually staying today. He talked with his teacher (which is only 21 yrs. old) and his fellow classmates, and played throughout the room as though he had been there before. Even though his teacher is quite young I must say I feel pretty good about how the school year will go. Last year being our first year of Pre-K was not a positive experience at all, but I really felt comfortable on how things went today, her level of preparedness and willingness to answer questions made me and other parents quite happy and comfortable with her. Hopefully, when Monday comes around the transition of dropping him off will be just as smooth as the visit was today! (Wishful thinking! LOL!) I will report to let you all know how that goes.

1 comment:

Jan said...

So glad to hear this went well!! yeah!!!!!